Study the four components of Safety Management Systems (SMS) and how SMS and System Safety work together to help create a safer working environment. Discover how the application of engineering and management principles, criteria and techniques can help to lower safety risk to acceptable levels. Explore the concepts of safety climate, safety risk management, the hazard reduction matrix as well as the hazard reduction precedence.
• Safety Management Systems (SMS)
• Core system safety elements; enhanced system safety elements suggested by the FTA
• Safety climate and the impact on safety performance
• Consequences of accidents and incidents
• Heinrich Ratio
• System safety; System safety as a management discipline
• Management and engineering principles; Hazard identification and resolution
• Components of the system safety management process
• Roles and activities for the safety unit and safety committee
• Employee selection criteria
• Vehicles, facilities, equipment and systems
• Human resources
• Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
• Safety and security Activities
• Threat and vulnerability analyses
• Emergency/All-hazards management
• Exercise: informal site audit (PPE required: leather upper, flat sole shoes)
• Pretest, quiz, final exam
Agency Safety Plan (ASP) developers, implementers, and administrators, Transit Executive Managers, Human Resource Managers, Facility Managers, Risk Managers, Auditors, Design Engineering Vendors, Construction Vendors, Bus Transit Safety Managers, Safety Supervisors, Equipment Maintenance Managers, Equipment Maintenance Supervisors.
The registration fee is $115 per person. Login to WSTIP Learns to register. Make checks payable to the Washington State Transit Insurance Pool. For information regarding RTAP scholarships for this event, please contact Marianna Hanefeld at HanefeM@wsdot.wa.gov.
This course will take place at the Everett Station fourth floor meeting room. The Everett Station is located at 3201 Smith Ave, Everett, Washington. Parking is available on the East side of the Everett Station (across the railroad tracks). It’s a five-minute walk across a pedestrian overpass from the parking lot to the Station. Please come a few minutes early to find parking. The course will run from 8:00 – 5:00, Monday through Thursday. The course ends at noon on Friday.
There is a room block at the Best Western Cascadia near the Everett Station. Rooms are The room block is under “TSI”. Please call (425) 258-4141 for reservations. The Best Western Cascadia is a five-minute walk from the Everett Station. The hotel will provide shuttle service to and from class. Please meet in the lobby at 7:40 am if you plan to take the hotel shuttle.
For information regarding registration or workshop content, please contact Laura Juell (email@example.com). Laura can be reached at (360) 786-5049.
You may cancel your workshop registration without penalty up to Monday, April 24th, 2023. Cancellations made after 4/24/2023 will be charged the full workshop fee. WSTIP may cancel the class if fewer than 12 people register for the course. If the course is cancelled, participants will receive a complete refund.