Study the four pillars of Safety Management Systems (SMS) and how SMS and System Safety work together to help create a safer working environment. Discover how the application of engineering and management principles, criteria and techniques can help to lower safety risk to acceptable levels. Explore the concepts of safety climate, safety risk management, the hazard reduction matrix as well as the hazard reduction precedence.
• Safety Management Systems (SMS)
• Core system safety elements; enhanced system safety elements suggested by the FTA
• Safety climate and the impact on safety performance
• Consequences of accidents and incidents
• Heinrich Ratio
• System safety; System safety as a management discipline
• Management and engineering principles; Hazard identification and resolution
• Components of the system safety management process
• Roles and activities for the safety unit and safety committee
• Employee selection criteria
• Vehicles, facilities, equipment and systems
• Human resources
• Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
• Safety and security Activities
• Threat and vulnerability analyses
• Emergency/All-hazards management
• Exercise: informal site audit (PPE required: leather upper, flat sole shoes)
• Pretest, quiz, final exam
Agency Safety Plan (ASP) developers, implementers, and administrators, Transit Executive Managers, Human Resource Managers, Facility Managers, Risk Managers, Auditors, Design Engineering Vendors, Construction Vendors, Bus Transit Safety Managers, Safety Supervisors, Equipment Maintenance Managers, Equipment Maintenance Supervisors
The registration fee is $115 per person. Make checks payable to the Washington State Transit Insurance Pool. For information regarding RTAP scholarships for this event, please contact Marianna Hanefeld at HanefeM@wsdot.wa.gov.
This course will take place at the Pierce Transit Training Center. The Pierce Transit Training Center is located at 3720 96th St. SW, Lakewood, WA 98499.
Parking is available in front of the building. Parking is limited, so please plan to carpool (if available to you), or take agency-provided transportation. The course will run from 8:00 – 4:30, Monday through Thursday. Class will end at noon on Friday.
There is a room block at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Tacoma Lakewood. Rooms are $126 plus tax. The room block is under “TSI”. Please call (253) 582-1055 for reservations. Transportation will be provided to and from the hotel to the training site. The reservation cut-off date is May 25th, 2021.
Participants will be required to maintain social distancing and wear a mask in the classroom. Participants will have their temperatures checked upon entry. Anyone with a temperature reading indicating a fever will not be asked to not attend.
For information regarding registration or workshop content, please contact Laura Juell (firstname.lastname@example.org). Laura can be reached at (360) 786-5049.
You may cancel your workshop registration without penalty up to Monday, June 7th, 2021. Cancellations made after 6/7/2021 will be charged the full workshop fee. WSTIP may cancel the class if fewer than 12 people register for the course. If the course is cancelled, participants will receive a complete refund.